Oakvale Wildlife Park’s Work Experience/ Work Placement Program is designed to provide students with an opportunity to acquire new skills, experience new things and learn more about working with animals in a captive environment.
We aim to provide students with a realistic experience of what being an animal keeper really involves to help determine if this is a career path you wish to pursue.
Students should be prepared for physically demanding tasks carried out in all weather conditions from pouring rain to extreme heat. It may not sound like much fun, but these jobs are essential to the daily running of a wildlife park and is still one of the most desired career paths.
What to Expect
- Students will be required to participate in a variety of duties e.g. food preparation, raking, assisting with feeding and daily shows, general cleaning, animal care etc
- Participate in duties that may involve unpleasant odours and/or getting dirty
- Work with a range of different species e.g. birds, mammals and reptiles
- Students will not operate any machinery, and are forbidden to enter any animal enclosures unsupervised or without permission
- Students will be supervised at all times
- Must be able to work a 5 day block week from 9am till 4pm
- Required to have suitable transport to and from Oakvale Wildlife Park
- Must be able to work outside in all weather conditions
- Dress appropriately, including sturdy enclosed footwear
- Behave in a manner that is appropriate (e.g. good attitude, no bad language)
- Read, sign and return our General Rules form
Who can Apply?
- Students in Year 10, 11 and 12
- Tafe Students who are enrolled in an animal related course (e.g. Companion Animals, Captive Animals)
- University Students who are enrolled in an animal related course (e.g. Animal Science, Agriculture)
How to Apply?
Please call 4982 6222 or email email@example.com with desired dates and we will respond with availability and an interview time prior to placement.
There are a limited number of Work Experience/Work Placement positions available.
There is no guarantee of paid employment at Oakvale Wildlife Park or within the zoological industry as a result of being involved in our program.